Furkunz theme

Released information from various stages of VSB's development.
Robertos
Musician
Musician

Furkunz theme

Post by Robertos »

Hi.

I've just uploaded the Furkunz-hut theme onto the ftp server into the "sound & music" folder. I would have attached it here, but I don't have such an option. It is a short theme which loops once just to show how it sounds in a loop. I hope it fits the athmosphere. Tell me what you think of it.
To be honest, I must say, I don't know how to express myself.
mjomble
Writer / Efficiency Facilitator

Post by mjomble »

Eyyy, that sounds sweet! :D

Sounds like it would fit the atmosphere pretty well, though perhaps a thing or two could be changed. I'm not quite sure what, but one thing I've noticed is that this tune kind of makes me imagine an open-air environment, like some medieval city (from QfG or KQ), but the Furkunz live in caves, which, although it fits with the low-tech style, is much more constrained.

Perhaps something slightly more echo-ing or with some faint water-dripping effects or... well, maybe someone who actually knows something about music could express my thoughts more accurately (should they actually agree with me :P). One more thing, perhaps it were possible to add some more, uh, "quirky" sounds to make the tune more comedy-ish. Or... not.

PS. Oh, and instead of attaching files, we just link to the FTP. Your file, for example, could be found at http://www.sqvsb.com/upload/Sound_and_Music/Library.mp3
"Man, we're gonna get so much pie when all these droids start coming back."
olzen
Co-Lead; Producer, Composer, Director, Writer

Post by olzen »

Awesome! I somewhat agree with Justas (the second section sounds very medieval-ish), but I mainly feel it should have a marching drum for a bit more urgency. Apart from that, I like it!
Last edited by olzen on Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WARNING: Will often post redundant anecdotes about the history of the "Vohaul Strikes Back"-project.
pcj
Site Admin, Webmaster, Programmer

Post by pcj »

NOOOO, it's so catchy!

We could use it for the Library maybe.
mjomble

Post by mjomble »

So we got to wondering in #vsb if your comment about it being the "Furkunz-hut theme" meant that it was supposed to be that sneaky suspense theme for inside Merf's hut, or the generic Furkunz cave theme.

As the former would need to be more sneaky and suspense.... ish, and it sounded more similar to the latter.

Anyhoo, if it's possible, you could also come to #vsb to discuss it with us, or whenever you upload new music in the future. Kind of more convenient than doing it all via the forum :P
Datadog
Character, Sprite & GUI Artist
Character, Sprite & GUI Artist

Post by Datadog »

Cut and print. Happy fuzzy Gummi Bear music. Me likes.
olzen

Post by olzen »

So I talked it over with Robertos with some input from Justas and we all agree that this is going to be the library-theme. Schmöwking!
WARNING: Will often post redundant anecdotes about the history of the "Vohaul Strikes Back"-project.
Robertos
Musician
Musician

Amusement Park Theme

Post by Robertos »

Ok. I've just finished my new Furkunz Theme. Tell me what you think.

http://www.sqvsb.com/upload/Sound_and_M ... ntPark.mp3
pcj

Post by pcj »

Yeah, that's pretty good. :y:
mjomble

Post by mjomble »

Heh, got a little confused there, I'd already managed to forget that the old furkunz.mp3 had been moved to the library.

So then I went to check out the reason we did that, and it was because the old tune sounded too 'open-air-y', and this sounds even more like some kind of a country fair rather than dark and moldy caves :D

But still, the tune itself is really good and catchy. And chances are that I might get used to it being the Furkunz theme (like I did with the old one even after we moved it elsewhere and I forgot :P), but right now I think this would be perfect for the amusement park scene instead.

So I'm not sure what to do. If you don't mind giving another shot at a from-scratch more darkish cave-y tune with a hint of funny/quirky, that'd be great.
pcj

Post by pcj »

Yeah, does sound a bit more like the Amusement Park, now that you mention it. :P
Robertos
Musician
Musician

Post by Robertos »

You guys are kinda right. Ok I'll give it another try then. You know there is something very special about those Furkunz :wink:
olzen

Post by olzen »

I dunno. I kinda think it'd fit Merf's hut pretty good. Either way, it's a nice tune and it'll do nicely for the general Furkunz-area too, I think!
mjomble

Post by mjomble »

Hmm, I think the inside of the hut could certainly use something more film-noir-esque with some suspense. Or like the sneaking tunes from QfG games, perhaps.
Robertos wrote:You know there is something very special about those Furkunz :wink:
Heh, perhaps we'll get the entire game composed via this 'Furkunz gateway' ;)
MartyMcFly
BG Artist / Coffee Retriever
BG Artist / Coffee Retriever

Post by MartyMcFly »

heh its not the first time he's made a tune which fits another scene better. why dont we try reverse psychology "hey Robertos, make the music for the amusement park theme" :D
just kidding, the music sounds great. it reminds me alot of Banjo Kazooie :D