Bootcamp doctor

Released information from various stages of VSB's development.
pcj
Site Admin, Webmaster, Programmer

Post by pcj »

I looked it up but didn't find anything.
MartyMcFly
BG Artist / Coffee Retriever

Post by MartyMcFly »

sorry, should have been more clear... its actually from "this island earth".
they build this triangular object where some alien guy with a tall forehead communicated through to them
pcj

Post by pcj »

Ah...well, the doctor will be moving around a bit more than it seems, as the plot indicates that Roger is trying to get him to leave.
MartyMcFly

Post by MartyMcFly »

Roger can make him burst into ash or something :P
MartyMcFly

Post by MartyMcFly »

and are those things meant to be ears or wings?
pcj

Post by pcj »

Well, probably.

I mean, he's a hologram, and neither would serve much purpose.

Make 'em ears.
mjomble
Writer / Efficiency Facilitator

Post by mjomble »

They were actually meant to be a hybrid, like "ear-wings". But it probably doesn't matter much, just a weird idea I had and thought would be relatively original :P

But yeah, he's supposed to move around and be sometimes able to interact with the physical world. Though he'd be unstable. So he could pick up a syringe and the next moment, it could fall through his hand. Which would be why he's not a very successful doctor and ended up at an apeman boot camp.
"Man, we're gonna get so much pie when all these droids start coming back."
MartyMcFly

Post by MartyMcFly »

insert face
olzen
Co-Lead; Producer, Composer, Director, Writer

Post by olzen »

Hmm... the only problem is that he looks too good to pass for a malfunctioning hologram :P
WARNING: Will often post redundant anecdotes about the history of the "Vohaul Strikes Back"-project.
mjomble

Post by mjomble »

olzen wrote:Hmm... the only problem is that he looks too good to pass for a malfunctioning hologram :P
Then again, that was a bit of a dodgy idea anyway. After all, it was kind of one of pcj's ;)

In fact, this looks good and scary enough to get rid of the idea that the doctor had to be a hologram in the first place. Saves a lot of crappy scientific explanations too.

Now, for the next concept-sketch-based crazy idea: Maybe we'll have him as a faceless creature, just like he is right now? Looks even creepier/original and, even more importantly, saves us animation work ;)

PS. There would probably still be "something" in place of the face, but just to give it some texture. Something wrinkle-like perhaps. Or just... use your wildest imagination.
olzen

Post by olzen »

I agree. I wouldn't mind if you got rid of that element. I think he should have a face. Either it should be very creepy or it should be completely harmless, but still be able to scare the apemen. Something like Skull Island in CMI. But IMO, using that photograph (or any photograph, really) is out of the question...
WARNING: Will often post redundant anecdotes about the history of the "Vohaul Strikes Back"-project.
pcj

Post by pcj »

Yeap, there's a sort of human need to see a face there that makes it unnerving.

Great work, Marty.

Now we have to come up with a name.
MartyMcFly

Post by MartyMcFly »

or...
a) i could have some kind of tv/monitor screen meshed into its head with that star trek dude's face on the screen
b) could be wearing a doctors (michael jackson) face mask which could be covering up alot of its head
olzen

Post by olzen »

Hmm... I think idea A would work best, 'cept I'm strongly against using a photo of a real person. But the idea itself reminds me of this Quake 2 monster, so perhaps it could be a creepy brain with its own visage floating around in there instead of a real face. And as for talking, he could just have a vocoding unit somewhere or something.
mjomble

Post by mjomble »

Marty wrote:i could have some kind of tv/monitor screen meshed into its head with that star trek dude's face on the screen
Him having McCoy's face was sort of a joke. He was originally supposed to have a "normal" face that looks similar to McCoy, and then I made the version with the photo as a joke, and then the joke went too far. So we can forget about that particular face :P

And no TV screens - he should be fully organic.

I still think the face could just look like slightly wrinkled skin or sort of like the insides of the ears. Just to give it some texture.

Or just a regular, somewhat creepy-looking face if y'all don't like that idea.
olzen wrote:And as for talking, he could just have a vocoding unit somewhere or something.
We don't need to explain how he speaks without a visible mouth, really. We can just show that he does and leave the rest up to the player's imagination ;)
pcj wrote:Now we have to come up with a name.
I sort of figured that "Doktor Sven", which was suggested on #vsb yesterday, would actually sort of fit in a weird way.