Full Game Plot (heavily outdated)

Released information from various stages of VSB's development.
kainenable

Full Game Plot (heavily outdated)

Post by kainenable »

I need something from the writers, either olzen , Eegah, or Waffle.

A full game plot from start to finish, without dialog. This shouldnt be any larger than about 2 pages in length. Just a basic breakdown of what happens over the course of the whole game. Once that is done we can break it down into rooms, add puzzels and click events. Just post it in the forum when your done.
olzen
Co-Lead; Producer, Composer, Director, Writer

Post by olzen »

Well, sure. I can do that...

It all starts in the future. In Space Quest 12. Somehow, the pedestial where Vohaul's holographic projection was shown, has been shattered, and now apemen from the past have been sent to clean up. While cleaning up, one of the ape-janitors finds a floppy disk, which is a back-up of Vohaul's mind. Quickly, he travels back to one of Vohaul's old HQ's on the ice planet Radon, where he delivers the disk to a superior apeman. The Radon personnel, that are still stationed there, have already begun making a cyborg replica of Vohaul. Now they just need a brain for it. And on a dark night, the evil Vohaul is brought back to life as a robot.

Meanwhile, Roger and his wife Bea, are on a shore leave on the planet Romanticon 7. They're currently dining in a restaurant called Pie-ery, where every single meal is made of pie. Bea then reveals that she is pregnant (Roger Wilco Jr.)... How'd that happen, Roger :wink: ? Suddenly, they are attacked by a horde of Vohaul's evil apemen. Vohaul have somehow found out that Roger and Bea are at Romanticon. Anyway, as always the apemen fail. Roger and Bea fights them and wins, and due to an apeman that's far too talkative, they find out about the cyborg and the base on Radon. They rush for the planet in the Aluminium Mallard, but they don't know that Vohaul is prepared.

As they approach the icy atmosphere of Radon, they ship is shot down by Vohaul's defense system. Both manage to survive, and Roger goes off to explore the planet while Bea stays with the ship. But while he is gone, Bea is ambushed by a small army of apemen and their superior. Vohaul's new sidekick, James T. Quirk! He survived the Eureka explosion, because he was just shattered into a million pieces when the ship exploded. Moved by the solar winds, all the slime-pieces finally gathered, and he was dragged to Radon due to the gravitational force. Vohaul found him and gave him his human shape back. He was hurt in the explosion, though, so he has been "healed" with some various cyborg implants.

Quirk and the apemen marches off with Bea, leaving Roger alone on Radon. He explores it, and finally finds his way to Vohaul's base. These scenes have been completely fleshed out. They are in the VSBinfo.txt file. Unfortunately, Roger gets caught in Vohaul's base, is confronted with his evil archenemy and ends in prison. But as always, he escapes. This time with the aid of Fester Blatz, who is selling weapons to the apemen, because it's damn good for business. Roger finds out that Quirk and Vohaul have taken Bea to Radon, the moon of Radon. In the core of Radon is a radioactive liquid called "Detanon". With bombs made of Detanon, Vohaul will be able to destroy entire planets! Naturally, he's going there to drill for the Detanon. So what started as a personal vendetta, is now a clear threat towards the whole universe.

Roger manages to sneak himself aboard a space shuttle and flies to Vohaul's Radon base with it. After getting smuggled in, Roger finds the security system of the Radon outpost. Of course, he can't stop playing around with it (he inserts a virus disk in it), so he manages to destroy the system, leaving the base without alarms, power and such. Unfortunately, Vohaul and Quirk have also been developing cyborgian elite-Apeman, which are to be used against the possible survivors of Vohaul's Detanon-attacks! Boy, you're in it now, Rog!
Last edited by olzen on Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING: Will often post redundant anecdotes about the history of the "Vohaul Strikes Back"-project.
Eegah
Writer
Writer

Post by Eegah »

Olzen, you and I were talking about the possibility of having Roger fight a Roger clone as the final puzzle. If we could write it correctly (to have it so the clone is also clueless but very lucky, so you have to counter him by being even moreso) it'd be a very good cap to the game. Just an idea to toss out.
Watch out for snakes
kainenable

Post by kainenable »

Couple things with the plot... are roger and bea married when they go to the planet? Plus whats the deal with there accident? Was having sex an accident or something. Im not sure if i get that.

Another thing the ending with vohaul floating through space, that doesnt make sence because it begins when space quest 4 ends. You cant have this being the catalist for space quest 4 without time travel, and thats been kinda done to death.
Last edited by kainenable on Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eegah
Writer
Writer

Post by Eegah »

Roger and Bea are attacked, and through the testimony of an ape man, they go off to this planet.
Watch out for snakes
olzen

Post by olzen »

My latest draft, directly from Notepad:

It all starts in the future. In Space Quest 12. Somehow, the pedestial where Vohaul's holographic projection was shown, has been shattered (possibly by the Xenon Rebellion), and now apemen from the past have been sent to clean up. While cleaning up, one of the ape-janitors finds a floppy disk, which is a back-up of Vohaul's mind. Quickly, he travels back to one of Vohaul's old HQ's on the ice planet Radon, where he delivers the disk to a superior apeman. The Radon personnel, that are still stationed there, have already begun making a cyborg replica of Vohaul. Now they just need a brain for it. And on a dark night, the evil Vohaul is brought back to life as a robot.

Meanwhile, Roger and his wife Bea, are on a shore leave on the planet Romanticon 7. They're currently dining in a restaurant called Pie-ery, where every single meal is made of pie. Bea then reveals that she is pregnant (Roger Wilco Jr.)... How'd that happen, Roger? Suddenly, they are attacked by a horde of Vohaul's evil apemen. Vohaul have somehow found out that Roger and Bea are at Romanticon. Anyway, as always the apemen fail. Roger and Bea fights them and wins, and due to an apeman that's far too talkative, they find out about the cyborg and the base on Radon. They rush for the planet in the Aluminium Mallard, but they don't know that Vohaul is prepared.

As they approach the icy atmosphere of Radon, they ship is shot down by Vohaul's defense system. Both manage to survive, and Roger goes off to explore the planet while Bea stays with the ship. But while he is gone, Bea is ambushed by a small army of apemen and their superior. Vohaul's new sidekick, James T. Quirk! He survived the Eureka explosion, because he was just shattered into a million pieces when the ship exploded. Moved by the solar winds, all the slime-pieces finally gathered, and he was dragged to Radon due to the gravitational force. Vohaul found him and gave him his human shape back. He was hurt in the explosion, though, so he has been "healed" with some various cyborg implants.

Quirk and the apemen marches off with Bea, leaving Roger alone on Radon. He explores it, and finally finds his way to Vohaul's base. These scenes have been completely fleshed out. They are in the VSBinfo.txt file. Unfortunately, Roger gets caught in Vohaul's base, is confronted with his evil archenemy and ends in prison. But as always, he escapes. This time with the aid of Fester Blatz, who is selling weapons to the apemen, because it's damn good for business. Roger finds out that Quirk and Vohaul have taken Bea to Radon, the moon of Radon. In the core of Radon is a radioactive liquid called "Detanon". With bombs made of Detanon, Vohaul will be able to destroy entire planets! Naturally, he's going there to drill for the Detanon. So what started as a personal vendetta, is now a clear threat towards the whole universe.

Roger manages to sneak himself aboard a space shuttle and flies to Vohaul's Radon base with it. After getting smuggled in, Roger finds the security system of the Radon outpost. Of course, he can't stop playing around with it (he inserts a virus disk in it), so he manages to destroy the system, leaving the base without alarms, power and such. Unfortunately, Vohaul and Quirk have also been developing cyborgian elite-Apeman, which are to be used against the possible survivors of Vohaul's Detanon-attacks! Boy, you're in it now, Rog!

Anyway, Roger manages to get to Vohaul's lab. I have no idea how he should get there. A maze, perphaps? He manages to pass through the security and manages to put the virus disk into Vohaul, knocking him over. Vohaul has a bunch of apes in his lab that are used to test how apes react on Detanon, as his henchmen are basically genetically modified apes. One of them teleports Roger into Vohaul's mind. His subconciusness. A place with all kinds of weird stuff. When Roger picks up a certain item, he will be transported to a memory of Vohaul. He has to walk thought 3 memories from Vohaul's past. As in that Christmas tale by Dickens or whoever it was, the people in the memories cannot see Roger. While in these memories, Roger will have to solve puzzles to get past some obstacles. These puzzles will affect Vohaul later, reprogramming him to Wilco and Bea's personal nanny. How quaint :)

After his adventure into Vohaul's subconciusness, Wilco and Bea are ambushed by General Quirk (once again...). They fight with him (in an SQ4-like fight scene, I guess), and end up pushing him into a large pool of Detanon. This would be where it would be supposed to end. The villains have lost, and the good guys have won again. But in the middle of the victory, Quirk rises from the Detanon pool. Not as his human form, but as a heavily mutated Quirkblob with shape-shifting abilities! Now, Wilco will have to outsmart his old arch-nemesis. Yet, I don't know how. After that is done, they finally leave Radon. In the end cutscene, Bea gives birth to Roger Wilco Jr. and orders poor Vohaul to make tea and throw out the dirty diapers. What a suitable ending, I think...

Just a little side note. The sequence with Vohaul getting thrown into space could work. Let's say that he hits an Electromagnetic Storm like Quirk did. The storm time-travels to SQ11 or something, where the disk is found by a Deep Space Salvage team. I think this would be the right way to do it, as we never hear of how the disk got there in SQ2 or 3. It would sort out most paradoxes.
WARNING: Will often post redundant anecdotes about the history of the "Vohaul Strikes Back"-project.
kainenable

Post by kainenable »

Just one thing, we have alot of items or places in this game with anon at as a prefix. For example Radon, xenon, romanticon, detanon. I suggest we change the name of detanon to detonite. Just to lesson the redundency.
olzen

Post by olzen »

For the Quirk-fight scene, I currently have no idea what should be fight scenes and what shouldn't be fight scene. Roger will have to defeat both Vohaul and Quirk. Right now, my view on Quirk is that he falls into the Detonite in an accident.
olzen

Post by olzen »

Speaking of plot, we really need to get it finished soon. Right now, we need a few modifications of some click events, the scene where Roger gets to Radon and the ending scenes. Eegah and Waffler, you think that the 3 of us will be able to script those sequences?
kainenable

Post by kainenable »

I was talking to egaah and both him and i thought that it was to confusing having two planets right next to each other with almost the same name. I mean if we are the people making the game and are confused think of the poor player.

So i suggest that we just call the main planet he crashes on Radon, and the moon, just radon's moon, that would clear up alot of the confusion.
mjomble
Writer / Efficiency Facilitator
Writer / Efficiency Facilitator

Post by mjomble »

Some things that got me thinking...
olzen wrote:Somehow, the pedestial where Vohaul's holographic projection was shown, has been shattered, and now apemen from the past have been sent to clean up.
Who would hire the apemen if there would be the danger that they could still be loyal to Vohaul and might find something in the ruins?
Bea then reveals that she is pregnant (Roger Wilco Jr.)
The beginning says that it's the SQ12 era. Shouldn't Rog Jr. be 19 by then? Or does the "apemen travels back to a HQ" mean time-travel?
"Man, we're gonna get so much pie when all these droids start coming back."
pcj
Site Admin, Webmaster, Programmer

Post by pcj »

The beginning says that it's the SQ12 era. Shouldn't Rog Jr. be 19 by then? Or does the "apemen travels back to a HQ" mean time-travel?
I believe the part about the apeman traveling back to HQ does indicate a backward time setting change. If you read the actual script, it's more detailed, saying that the apeman jumped in a time pod.
olzen

Post by olzen »

Yep. It's a time-travel. The game is connected to SQ12, but takes place just after SQ7. We aren't calling it SQ8. Back when I started this, I thought about it. But SQ7 are running a show that we just can't live up to. Maybe next time, guys :wink:
pcj

Post by pcj »

I'm not sure as to the nature of your first question... The apemen ARE loyal to Vohaul, and they're building a robot in SQ: VSB (the time period). The disk that the ape janitor finds is returned to VSB and the program downloaded into the robot's memory. In fact, that's practically what this whole game is about: Vohaul comes back to life yet again, and Roger must defeat him.
BlueMax

Post by BlueMax »

In order to properly write music and get a feel for the project, I do hope there is a full and complete storyboard... I'm sensing too many "umm...yeah... maybe's" here. ;)

What is the whole story in SHORT form, what the main characters do, the important cutscenes, where they go, who they interact with.
NOT so much what they SAY, just "what happens" in very short, concise form. I have to ask because I've been reading a lot about "changes" like Quirk, Fester Blatz and more...

And it'll help everything in general. ;) I don't know what story problems there may be right now, but this would really help keep things on track.
How do you type with boxing gloves on your hands?