Initial Furkunz decisions (split from 'More Puzzles?')

Released information from various stages of VSB's development.
olzen
Co-Lead; Producer, Composer, Director, Writer
Co-Lead; Producer, Composer, Director, Writer

Post by olzen »

Back in the early days, we did have some characters called Furkunz who were just like the Pinkunz in SQ2. Let's use that idea but make them a bit more intelligent so they'd be able to talk and stuff like that. They could live in a small village somewhere on Radon, or undergound which would be cool too, planning out Vohaul's downfall. So they meet Roger and from then, it's quid pro quo. Roger needs help from the natives and they need him to solve some everyday problems.
Last edited by olzen on Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING: Will often post redundant anecdotes about the history of the "Vohaul Strikes Back"-project.
pcj
Site Admin, Webmaster, Programmer

Post by pcj »

If we're planning on changing Eegah's draft of Roger's retrieval of the money from the snowman, perhaps we could put their secret village through a hole beneath the snowman, having Roger push it over to get to the camp.
mjomble
Writer / Efficiency Facilitator

Post by mjomble »

I think we should put it somewher on the edge of the Radon surface map. Currently, most of it are empty scenes. If we're going to add something, we should try to somewhat balance it off instead.

And I think the wallet should still be inside the snowman and the Furkunz would be useful for something else.
"Man, we're gonna get so much pie when all these droids start coming back."
pcj

Post by pcj »

Hmm....ok...there are a few random backgrounds Marty could retouch to have the village.
mjomble

Post by mjomble »

I had some ideas for the Furkunz as the underground resistance. They would be sort of like Ewoks (or the Nibblers from that one episode in "Futurama") - attempting to look mean and tough, but deep down inside, they're still... well, cute. So they should have some kind of a camouflaged uniform (but not green. Firstly, it'd look too much like Dweeble and secondly, they're on an ice planet, so it'd probably be light-gray-ish, perhaps with a slight shade of blue). And have white or slighly beige fur or so. Much fur.

Also, I was thinking of them having an accent that would somewhat resemble German or French, as they could say "Z" instead of "Th". And stuff like "HALT! Who goes zere?", "Viva la resistance!" and so on.However, we might be going a bit too ethnical this way. IMO, Dweeble's Irish accent didn't make much sense, so we might chop that. But that's just a thought. You might wanna keep em.

Now to the puzzleness of thems. Here are some dialogue drafts I thought up which should give you the basic idea. This could probably be split up and made into a multiple-choice dialogue and so on.

Roger enters the scene. You can see the little village (or whatever we'll have them live in) and a small Furkunz guard sleeping near the entrance with a weapon of some sort. As Roger walks near him, some kind of an alarm wakes the guard. He jumps up and points the weapon at Roger (while being rather sleepy)

H: "HALT! Who goes zere?"
R: "Whoa, watch out where you point that thing!"
H: "Who are you?"
R: "I am Roger Wilco, fearless space janitor!"
H: "What? Ze real Roger Wilco?"
R: "Uh, yes... have you actually heard of me?"
H: "Of course! You were ze man who defeated Vohaul ze first time!"
R: "I sure did. And who are you?"
H: "We are ze Furkunz. We've established a resistance force against Vohaul and ze apemen. Zey broke our peaceful life by building zese bases here and starting with ze evil plans."
R: "Sounds good. How's the rebellion coming along?"
H: "Not very good, I'm afraid... We suffered a serious setback some time ago."
R: "What happened?"
H: "Do you know Al ze Robot? One day, we were sneaking into his resort to... borrow some supplies. He caught us and as a punishment, took our flashlight. As it was ze only source of light we had, we haven't made any progress since."
R: "How come?"
H: "We, ze Furkunz, are nocturnal creatures."
R: "Noc-what?"
H: "Nocturnal. Zis means we sleep all day and can only work in ze night. But without ze flashlight, it is impossible."
R: "Hmm... but with this important goal, couldn't you try to stay up longer?"
H: "We really need our beauty sleep."
R: "Good point."

And the puzzle would be that Roger would have to get into Robot Al's and get back the flashlight. Perhaps he'd need an extra item from the Furkunz to retrieve it, so that if the player hasn't talked to the Furkunz, he wouldn't be able to get the flashlight either, which would be an unnecessary and confusing inventory item otherwise. In return, the Furkunz could give him some info or a thing that helps him get into the fortress easier, as they had done some surveillance earlier.
mjomble

Post by mjomble »

Also, the Furkunz might look a little bit something like this:

mjomble

Post by mjomble »

After discussing it with Olzen, the following changes were applied:

The slingshot and spear didn't turn out very well, but this is a sketch anyway.
kainenable

Post by kainenable »

Since the Furkunz are nocturnal i think these faces would make more sence. Big eyes, furry face. The other pics look a bit to much like ewoks too.

pcj

Post by pcj »

Hmm...maybe not so blatant--something more subtle in that general idea...perhaps just making them very white, almost no skin pigmentation.
mjomble

Post by mjomble »

I made the first sketch white as well, but then olzen noted that the camouflage would look better on them if their skin was darker. Although light skin might work as well. We'll have to wait and see.

Btw, I agree with the lemur-esque eyes. They might fit well. As long as the rest of the face isn't too closely based on a human face model ;)
pcj

Post by pcj »

Hmm...we'll see.