SQ7

Released information from various stages of VSB's development.
olzen
Co-Lead; Producer, Composer, Director, Writer

Post by olzen »

About the pregnancy, E1ven told me that Bea will exist SQ7 as pregnant, but won't tell Roger anything. So maybe she's pregnant in this game too, but closer to labour. Either Kain will have to... uh... expand her model or we'll have to make a different ending and integrate the labour into the intro. Maybe that could make more interaction, like how to get from the Xenon Hospital to Romanticon.

And for the fridge egg, we're lucky. Colin seems to be very open to solving continuity problems and linking the two games together. I'd like to add him to the dev group, but I want Kain to give green light first.

As for getting access to their forum, maybe. But Colin can tell us enough. Kain and him can probably sort it all out.
WARNING: Will often post redundant anecdotes about the history of the "Vohaul Strikes Back"-project.
kainenable

Post by kainenable »

Id rather not give anyone on the sq7 team access to our forum. Just as they probably wouldnt be to open to us having access to there dev forums. I wouldnt mind having an icq or msn discussion with him to souse it out.
olzen

Post by olzen »

Well, you oughta do that, then. But mind that if he wants access to the dev forums in order to help us, you should let him have that. He doesn't seem very secretive himself, so you might be able to get into their forum too. I think that leaking details is not even nearly as bad as winding up with two games that are SUPPOSED to be hanging together, but have enormous continuity problems, which kinda prevent that.
WARNING: Will often post redundant anecdotes about the history of the "Vohaul Strikes Back"-project.
kainenable

Post by kainenable »

Initially e1ven and i had a conversation and we pretty much shared that it wouldnt matter very much if they wernt continious. The whole reason for the collaberation at this point is to integrate the games together in a funny way.

Although i doubt the user would enjoy quite as much playing a pregnant woman.
olzen

Post by olzen »

So we're not gonna try solve any continuity problems at all? Sorry, but that's just plain silly! If Bea gets pregant is SQ7 and she gets pregnant too in our game, people will start making theories and bad fangames about abortions will start asking us. It's much better to have two games that's in sync with each other. Else, it will be like a band where every bandmember plays a different rhythm. Space Quest is a series. VSB does not take place in a parallel universe. It takes place in the Space Quest universe, just after SQ7. They're linked no matter how we slice it. If we don't solve those problems, we'll hurt SQ7 and they will hurt us.
kainenable

Post by kainenable »

It is all a matter of how we decide to go about it. Also how much effect these hypothtical changes would have on the game. If it has such a negative effect as to hurt our game there are alternative explanations. If we can make it continious without doing this we can do this as well. Lets just see how my conversation goes with E1ven before jumping to conclusions about anything.
Eegah
Writer
Writer

Post by Eegah »

A couple points-

If we do go about making these two in the actual continuity that'd mean that we would have to hold the game until after they're done (which, might happen) but in the chance that it wouldn't it'd be sort of an awkward situation. I'm less for access to either forum because we don't need too much other than a full summary, or at least to get by (as enticing it does seem to me, though), they don't need too much either. Also, going along with what Kain says, despite the fact that it would create some sort of discrepancy with the SQ universe, if their plot is heading in a completely different direction than ours, and it requires large rewrites, we'll let both games stand on their merit. I don't think it'd be too much of a scandal, rather people will play both fan games, presumably enjoy them, and draw their own conclusion or just say 'well, they're fan games, so it doesn't really matter.'
Watch out for snakes
olzen

Post by olzen »

It won't be neccessary to wait releasing this after SQ7 is done. In the intro, we can have the narrator say a few bits like "After his most exciting adventure ever, Roger Wilco is... blah, blah". I personally hate this idea because it ruins most of my original vision. And if you want me to, I'd hand these re-writes myself! But I think that parallel-universe idea tears apart what I've been working on for more than a year now. It's not Space Quest - Alternate Galaxies or Roger Wilco II. No, it's Space Quest and Roger Wilco.
pcj
Site Admin, Webmaster, Programmer

Post by pcj »

Eegah wrote:pcj, I'm starting to get something of an idea that you are a fan of that 'Star-Trek' that all the kids are talking about.
What? You couldn't tell by the UFP logo and my profile?

:lol:

But seriously, I think continuity is less important than making it fun and exciting for the player. Just like the Gippazoid Novelty Company hunted down Roger for mail fraud, when it was a free mating whistle.

But olzen's idea has some merit, too. We need to keep the series intact.
mjomble
Writer / Efficiency Facilitator
Writer / Efficiency Facilitator

Post by mjomble »

IMO, continuity is very important.

What about we just explain it by saying that in their universe, they have invented measures to hide pregnancy very well.

Or something.
"Man, we're gonna get so much pie when all these droids start coming back."
pcj

Post by pcj »

Perhaps she's just very fit.
olzen

Post by olzen »

Look at my idea. VSB takes place just after SQ7. Beas pregnancy has not gone that far yet. She exits SQ7 pregnant, and if I know Colin, we won't get to see how and when.

Feck!
pcj

Post by pcj »

Good point.