Quality control

Released information from various stages of VSB's development.
olzen
Co-Lead; Producer, Composer, Director, Writer

Quality control

Post by olzen »

It's about time that we (the writing team) get to polish up the old scripts. A lot of stuff needs to replaced or just deleted. So, Justas, Eegah and me are gonna take care of that while the rest of you just continue with what you're doing. As Kain's not here, just ask me if you have any questions.
WARNING: Will often post redundant anecdotes about the history of the "Vohaul Strikes Back"-project.
kainenable

Post by kainenable »

Yeah, the scripts really need to be given a once over not only in terms of the dialog but also in terms of the events. Just so there is a chohesive and interesting plot structure in terms of events. If there are major changes that need to be made maybe make a note of them in the thread. If there are small dialog changes just make the changes directally to the original document.

If you need permissions to do this let me know and i will give them to you.
kainenable

Post by kainenable »

Justas suggested that we get a list of all the scenes in the media posting section and put them in chronological order.

Olzen is currently working on this as well as re-vamping the plot outline so it reflects all the changes/modifications we have done to the game thus far. Once that is done we can go through the game in a more organized chronological way and modify it.
mjomble
Writer / Efficiency Facilitator

Post by mjomble »

Although olzen has announced me as one of the quality checkers, we decided that I won't be doing it since I have only 8 days of summer left and if I was to do any quality checking, the plot outline would have to be ready several days before I leave, which would mean you'd have to rush to get it done, resulting in it being not-so-good.

I'll still be doing click events on weekends after school starts though.

PS: For those who don't know: During school, I will spend 5 days every week in another apartment at another city which is 50 km away from here and I don't have a computer in there.
"Man, we're gonna get so much pie when all these droids start coming back."
BlueMax

Post by BlueMax »

I would be HAPPY to do script revision to check spelling, cohesion and quality.
How do you type with boxing gloves on your hands?
kainenable

Post by kainenable »

BlueMax wrote:I would be HAPPY to do script revision to check spelling, cohesion and quality.
Thanks man, that would be greatly appriciated. Once olzen gets the revised plot up and the room listing in proper order we can edit for quality.
olzen

Post by olzen »

Here's what I've written so far of the plot:

In Space Quest 12, an ape-janitor is cleaning out Vohaul's fortress. Suddenly, he stumbles upon a floppy disk with the text "VOHAUL BACK-UP". He races to one of Vohauls still active bases on planet Radon in present time (Space Quest 8), where he delivers the disk with Vohauls mind to the ape commanding the base. The scientists on the base have already made a robot/cyborg version of their old master, in case he should return. Using the disk, they insert Vohauls brainwaves into the cyborg. Vohaul is big! Twice as evil and with a cool chrome-ish look. The first thing that springs to his mind when he wakes up in his new body is "Wilco must pay!". Uh-oh... Meanwhile, Roger and his new wife Beatrice are on their honeymoon on planet Romanticon-7. They are currently sitting in the Pie-ery, a restaurant where the only thing served is pie. Suddenly, an ape-patrol appear out of nowhere and attack the happy couple! Bea fights them while our "hero" is hiding under the table. Unfortunately, they never manage to alert StarCon about this, as Vohaul blows up the sattelite. Now there is only one thing to do. They must confrontate Vohaul themselves. Vohaul has taken his precautions, though. As the Aluminum Mallard flies towards Radon, it is shot down by Vohauls defense system. Yet, both Roger and Bea manage to survive. Roger goes scouting, while Bea stays at the ship. Unfortunately, she is ambushed by another ape-patrol, led by Aeryn Saxxon. A woman who went to the StarCon Academy, who is also a great admirer of Roger. When Roger returns to the ship, Bea is gone. Now our hero is stranded on an ice planet full of enemies; the shipwreck shores of a dark and strange country.

After looking a bit around, Roger comes to a beach resort built by the manic depressive robot, Al. Roger enters Al's fancy beach resort shop, full of intriguing stuff. On the desk are some free samples of the powerful (with capital P) laxative, "Blowel Blaster". Roger grabs a pill (you never know when that comes in handy) and continues his journey.

He comes to a fossile and is surprised to find out that it's eye is an entrance to the caves beneath the surface of Radon. He drops down and walks a bit around. But his path is cut off by a Radonskian spewter. The only animal capaple of farting more than Pstonie D'Sane and it's even poisonous. But Roger is a clever (hmmmm) guy. He had a leftover sandwich with him, which he gives to the spewter. After this generous offer, the spewter let's Roger pass.
WARNING: Will often post redundant anecdotes about the history of the "Vohaul Strikes Back"-project.
mjomble

Post by mjomble »

How's the room list coming along?
olzen

Post by olzen »

Believe me, I'm trying. But it can be difficult now that school has taken over again.
mjomble

Post by mjomble »

Maybe someone else might have a go at it as well, seeing as most of the production is currently stuck behind this.
pcj
Site Admin, Webmaster, Programmer

Post by pcj »

Once Tim gets me the code, I'd be happy to compile a list of the rooms, both from the program and everything else on the forum I can piece together.
olzen

Post by olzen »

I've stopped at the fortress scene. I'm gonna write what I know about it, though.

VOHAUL STRIKES BACK - PLOT OUTLINE

NOTE: This doesn't describe all the death sequences, click events, etc. They can all be found in their respective scripts. This is just meant to make organizing easier.

In Space Quest 12, an ape-janitor is cleaning out Vohaul's fortress. Suddenly, he stumbles upon a floppy disk with the text "VOHAUL BACK-UP". He races to one of Vohauls still active bases on planet Radon in present time (Space Quest 8), where he delivers the disk with Vohauls mind to the ape commanding the base. The scientists on the base have already made a robot/cyborg version of their old master, in case he should return. Using the disk, they insert Vohauls brainwaves into the cyborg. Vohaul is big! Twice as evil and with a cool chrome-ish look. The first thing that springs to his mind when he wakes up in his new body is "Wilco must pay!". Uh-oh...

Meanwhile, Roger and his new wife Beatrice are on their honeymoon on planet Romanticon-7. They are currently sitting in the Pie-ery, a restaurant where the only thing served is pie. Suddenly, an ape-patrol appear out of nowhere and attack the happy couple! Bea fights them while our "hero" is hiding under the table. Unfortunately, they never manage to alert StarCon about this, as Vohaul blows up the sattelite. Now there is only one thing to do. They must confrontate Vohaul themselves. Vohaul has taken his precautions, though. As the Aluminum Mallard flies towards Radon, it is shot down by Vohauls defense system. Yet, both Roger and Bea manage to survive. Roger goes scouting, while Bea stays at the ship. Unfortunately, she is ambushed by another ape-patrol, led by Aeryn Saxxon. A woman who went to the StarCon Academy, who is also a great admirer of Roger. When Roger returns to the ship, Bea is gone. Now our hero is stranded on an ice planet full of enemies; the shipwreck shores of a dark and strange country.

After looking a bit around, Roger comes to a beach resort built by the manic depressive robot, Al. Roger enters Al's fancy beach resort shop, full of intriguing stuff. On the desk are some free samples of the powerful (with capital P) laxative, "Blowel Blaster". Roger grabs a pill (you never know when that comes in handy) and continues his journey. He comes to a fossile and is surprised to find out that it's eye is an entrance to the caves beneath the surface of Radon. He drops down and walks a bit around. But his path is cut off by a Radonskian spewter. The only animal capaple of farting more than Pstonie D'Sane and it's even poisonous. But Roger is a clever (hmmmm) guy. He had a leftover sandwich with him, which he gives to the spewter. After this generous offer, the spewter let's Roger pass.

The cave leads up to the surface and Roger soon finds himself in the apemens bootcamp. He reaches a locked gate, and must guess the password to open it. There are some different options (who should be pretty easy), like "SLUDGE", "WILCOSUX" etc. When Roger opens the gate and walks into the bootcamp he falls into a trap, though. He steps on a trapdoor and falls into the sewers. Here, he is cought by two apemen. They try to interrogate him, but he won't say anything, which the apemen haven't tried before. So they ask Roger to stay where he is, while BOTH of them contact the HQ. Christ on a cross...

Roger walks around in the sewer a bit, which at first looks like an incredibly difficult maze. But the trick is to keep walking the same direction 10 times or so. Eventually, Roger gets to a piston room, where he has to avoid getting crushed by some huge stompers. After that, he'll only have to take the elevator on the other side.

Up on the surface again, Roger is at a landing bay. There is a small yellow spaceship docked there, but there is a problem. It's heavily guarded by apemen. Roger shall now pick up a dozen of rocks and use his trusty jockstrap to fling it at the apemen. Deja-vu! Now that all apemen are disposed of, there are two different ways to get into the ship.

Number one: Roger looks at the ship. Once he sees an orange tab sticking out from it, push it to open up the engine compartment. Slip inside. Two ape-pilots will enter the scene, get into the ship and fly you to the compound.

Number two: Get into the cockpit and look at it. Push the "POWER UP" button then look at the computer. Push the "INITIALIZE" button. The same kind of puzzle at the military camp gate. Perhaps use tougher words this time. Once that's done, you can push the "CONFIRM" button. Now you need to get the feel of the controls. There are two throttles. One throttle controls VAC, another controls HAC. Pull the VAC one back and then when you reach a point where you can see the C.C. Landing Bay, push the VAC back to the center and push the HAC forward. AUTOPILOT will take over and take you to the bay, leaving the Apemen behind!
olzen

Post by olzen »

However, nothing lasts and the shuttle crashes outside Vohaul's fortress. I am not sure how Roger SHOULD get inside, but what we have now is worthless. Anyway, he gets inside but is stopped by the security systems or the apemen. Finally, he stands face to face with Vohaul after so long time. He is thrown into the brig and is guarded by an armed apeman.

This is where Bowel Blaster will prove it's might. Roger slips it into his meal and tells the (hungry) apeman that he's not hungry anymore. The apeman eats the cereal and goes/runs... Well, what do you think? ;) Roger grabs his raygun, zaps a jailbar and escapes.

This sequence is also a bit of a blur to me, but Roger should head longer and longer up, past the guards and so on, till he reaches the shuttlebay on the first floor. So there are plenty of room for puzzles here. When Roger gets up to the shuttlebay, he uses a codebook and the communications console to order the apemen to leave the shuttlebay. Roger dons a spacesuit lying in the control room and gets into a cylinder that is supposed to be fired towards Radons moon where Vohaul and Aeryn have taken Bea (depicted in a cutscene). Shortly after, the apemen returns and fire the cannon which usually ships the supplies to the moon. But it gives Roger a ride to Vohauls base.
olzen

Post by olzen »

The armory-sequence isn't there yet because I simply don't know where to put it! Marty thought it was at the moon and I don't really know myself. Kain, could you inform me/us about it's location. If not, let's just make the obligatory airlock and place it at the moon :)
pcj

Post by pcj »

Where does player control begin?