The Outros

Released information from various stages of VSB's development.
mjomble
Writer / Efficiency Facilitator

Post by mjomble »

SPOOFY TIME!! :D
"Man, we're gonna get so much pie when all these droids start coming back."
pcj
Site Admin, Webmaster, Programmer

Post by pcj »

Justas wrote:SPOOFY TIME!! :D
Sure, go ahead.
Datadog
Character, Sprite & GUI Artist

Post by Datadog »

I still think if we'd pull off a full-fledged spoof of an ending, Revenge of the Sith is the way to go. Vohaul's reconstruction, the rising table, the cackling evil emperor, and the classic "NOOOOOOOOO" would constitute everything we need out of a "Vohaul turns bad again" ending.

For Vohaul's funeral, just could load his coffin into the cannon, read him his rites, and then shout "PULL!"
mjomble

Post by mjomble »

And make sure we don't forget Rodney playing banjo.
pcj

Post by pcj »

Hmm, using my ideas for both endings?

*makeitso*
Datadog

Post by Datadog »

After we see Roger exiting the mind with Young Vohaul, we cut back to the lair. Beatrice and the chief scientist wait eagerly. Finkle stands off to the side.

BEA: "Does it usually take this long?"

CHIEF: "Don't know. Never did this before."

FINKLE: "I think he's waking up!"

Roger wakes up on Vohaul's lap and sits up.

BEA: "Roger! Are you okay?"

ROGER: "Yeah - hang on. Check this out."

Roger hops off Vohaul's lap and sticks the hamster back into the port. The little guy revs up and Vohaul starts to wake.

VOHAUL: "Man... I just had the craziest dream. You were there... and you... weren't there. Neither were you. But he was definitely there."

CHIEF: "Tell me, Lord Vohaul, how do you feel?"

VOHAUL: "I feel... a lot better now. Like a whole lot of weight's gone! I feel... "

He spits off his mouthpiece and his voice changes.

VOHAUL: "I feel GREAT!"

ROGER: "And you don't remember being an evil psychodistic dictator who cruelly enslaved cute furry animals, tried to blow up the universe with a moon bomb, and spent years of your life trying to plot my demise?"

VOHAUL: "Well, I do now. Thanks a lot."

BEA: "So you do remember everything?"

VOHAUL: "Pretty much. I'm still pretty miffed about that asteroid you blew up back in Space Quest 2, but I'll get over it."

CHIEF: "Hurray! We have our old Vohaul back!"

VOHAUL: "That you do, and I have a lot to answer for. I guess all the Furkunz will be after my head now, won't they?"

FINKLE: "You better believe it."

BEA: "And we can't keep these apes locked up forever. They're gonna want revenge on the Furkunz."

VOHAUL: "This is all my fault. It's time to make peace between the Furkunz and the Apes, and I'm gonna do it the only way I know how."

ROGER: "What are you going to do?"

VOHAUL: "Something I should've done a long time ago... "

ONE MONTH LATER....

In the middle of the forest, a little squirrel-rat thing is trying to bury his acorn in his snow. After a couple moments of digging, he looks up, screams, and quickly buries his own head in the snow. The music kicks in as several Furkunz go skiing past.

Robot Al sits on the Resort Clerk's shoulders as they ski down the slope. Suddenly, Al is picked off by a snowball, followed by the clerk.

Cut up to the chair lift where we see the Mayor, the Penguin, and the Colonel chucking snowballs at passing skiiers and having a good laugh. The Penguin picks off Lewdy as he goes off a ramp and high-fives the Mayor.

Down below, we see Lewdy face down in the snow, and Harmony stops to help him up. Shortly afterwards, Dweeble buzzes by on a snowboard and sprays them with snow.

Dweeble rides up next to the blind piano player while skiing and laughs at him - only to run into a tree. The piano player laughs and hits a tree too.

Cut to Bootcamp Entrance which is now re-fitted with a free admission booth. A big sign overhead says "VELCOME TO VOHAUL'S VINTER VUNDERLAND!" The little kid ape is practicing his junior skiiing outside the entrance ("Pizza... french fries... ") A group of penguins enter the ski resort.

Up on top of the hill, Roger, Finkle and Vohaul stand, looking over the ski resort.

ROGER: "I can't believe you actually converted half the planet's surface into a giant ski resort."

VOHAUL: "It was the only way to bring everyone together."

FINKLE: "And now peace has been restored between the peoples of this planet."

ROGER: "Yeah, but we're talking about the enslavement and dictatorship over two entire races. A month ago, everybody was ready to kill each other! If anything, this is the single most unlikely thing to ever happen!"

VOHAUL: "What can I say? Everyone loves skiing."

(General Forksmith, Odster, and Gofty go sledding past)

ROGER: "Well, Vohaul, I'm impressed. You really pulled through for everyone. But a few things still bother me."

VOHAUL: "Like what?"

ROGER: "Like whatever happened to Never Kenezer?"

VOHAUL: "Oh, I put him to work..."

Cut to modified Amusement Park entrance. The Bartender stands next to a glass tank and a crowd gather around. Inside is Never Kenezer covered in hair.

BARTENDER: "Ladies and gentlemen, step right up and see the horrible Abominable Snowman!"

CROWD: "Oooooh!"

NEVER: "Ya know, the hair isn't so bad when you get used to it."

BARTENDER: "Snowmen DON'T TALK."

Cut back to the hill.

ROGER: "And what about Merf? What did the Furkunz ever do about that guy?"

FINKLE: "Good question. We completely forgot about him."

Cut to Merf's hut. We hear Merf off-screen

MERF: "Hey, wait a second! It's just a vaccuum cleaner!"

Cut back to the hill...

ROGER: "And what about that moon bomb thing?"

VOHAUL: "Converted it to an energy refinery. Now the entire planet's fueled by the moon.

~Cut to a shot of the moon. There's now a giant extension cord sticking out of the planet and plugged into the moon's surface.

~Cut back to Radon

FINKLE: "Well, I'm gonna leave you guys alone. Vohaul, don't forget that thing we got, right?"

VOHAUL: "See ya in a bit!"

(Finkle skis off)

ROGER: "So this is how it ends? To never match wits again with my arch-nemesis?"

VOHAUL: "I wouldn't say that. I mean, I'm only a digital copy of the original Vohaul. I'm pretty sure there's a million other copies scattered all over the galaxy in bootleg software waiting to be uploaded into a supercomputer somewhere that you can fight."

ROGER: "Oh."

VOHAUL: "Ehhh, don't worry about it. If another version of me ever tries to give you trouble, you know I got your back."

ROGER: "I guess underneath all that hardware and scary blue scaley skin, you really are a nice guy after all, Vohaul."

VOHAUL: "And I have you to thank for that, Wilco. Any other schmoe would've left me for dead, but of all people, it was the guy who killed me that saved me in the end. I really owe you a lot, Roger."

ROGER: "You don't owe me anything. It's all the line of duty for a day-to-day space hero."

VOHAUL: "So how about that girl of yours? Ever gonna get around to proposing?"

ROGER: "I think I'm ready, but I don't have a ring."

VOHAUL: "Take this."

Vohaul hands him a ring.

ROGER: "Holy cow! Look at the size of that rock!"

VOHAUL: "Pure detonite crystal. Fully refined, but I wouldn't put it near any open flames right away."

ROGER: "Thanks! Bea's gonna love this!"

VOHAUL: "So what are you waiting for? Go tell that girl what's in your heart!"

ROGER: "Right away? But... "

VOHAUL: "Are you gonna do it, or am I gonna have to strike back?"

ROGER: "Strike back?"

Vohaul slaps him in the back and pushes him off the hill. Roger goes sliding down screaming.

VOHAUL: "Get it? Strikes BACK! Ha ha ha!"

Roger whooshes past Werg who snatches Roger's outfit and slips him into a tuxedo. Roger hits a rock, and goes flying off his skis.

Cut to the Outdoor Wedding scene. Beatrice is already in her dress, with the priest in front of the altar. The pews are filled with all the characters, and Rodney stands behind Bea dressed as the maid-of-honor. Finkle is in the front seat. Roger comes plopping down in front of Beatrice and lands on one knee in front of her, already holding the ring up for her.

ROGER: "What the heck?!"

FINKLE: "Right on cue!"

Vohaul hovers down the sky, dressed in a tuxedo. His hamster has a tiny top hat.

VOHAUL: "Well, well, well - look at that. You could almost swear there was a wedding going on. Of course, who could possibly be getting married?"

ROGER: "Uh... "

BEA: "Roger, shut up and propose."

VOHAUL: "Yeah, seriously. Come on. That whole thing with the skiis and ramp wasn't exactly easy to set up."

ROGER: "Beatrice, I'm sorry I kept holding off on this. We had such a good thing going and I was afraid everything was going to change once we were married. We'd become different people, and eventually drift apart. Maybe not even love each other anymore."

BEA: "Roger, you don't have to... "

ROGER: "Let me finish. What I figured out is that people always change, and often, it's for the better. So no matter how things change between us in the future, I'll do whatever it takes to fall in love with you all over again. Beatrice Wankmeister, will you marry me?"

BEA: "Oh, Roger, yes!"

They kiss right there.

PRIEST: "I now pronounce you man and wife. You may now kiss... yeah, whatever."

The crowd cheers.

While kissing, Beatrice throws the bouquet into the crowd. The lawyer catches it. The prisoner reaches out the shadows and puts his giant hand on the lawyer's shoulder. The lawyer grins sheepishly.

~Cut to the Shuttle Bay. Roger and Bea stand outside the Aluminum Mallard with Vohaul, Lewdy, Rodney, and Finkle.

LEWDY: "There you go, good as new."

RODNEY: "We also took out that duct tape and put in a real reactor core."

ROGER: "I really appreciate this guys. Vohaul, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm gonna miss you."

VOHAUL: "So where will you go now?"

ROGER: "Wherever the adventure of marriage takes us, I guess."

BEA: "We're going back to work. Our paid vacation ended three weeks ago."

ROGER: "We're going back to work then!"

FINKLE: "So long, Roger. And thanks for everything."

~Cut to landscape shot. The Mallard flies off and fireworks explode in the air behind them. They disappear into space.

Inside the cockpit...

ROGER: "It's been a fun month, Bea. And you know what? I think I'm finally ready for this whole parenthood thing. After all, how hard can it be to take care of one little toddler? Just you, me, and little Roger Jr."

BEA: "And Hannah."

ROGER: "And Hannah. ...Who's Hannah?"

BEA: "Our daughter. We're having twins."

(pause)

ROGER (cautiously): "What?"

Cut to credits. Cue the outro music.

CREDITS
CREDITS
CREDITS
CREDITS
CREDITS

End of the credits.

~Cut to Radon Surface. Odster and Gofty and standing out in the middle of nowhere.

ODSTER: "Ah, I love a happy ending. Don't you?"

GOFTY: "Absolutely. I like it when everything turns out for the best."

ODSTER: "Right. So... now what do we do?"

GOFTY: "I don't know."

ODSTER: "Hmm."

GOFTY: "Wanna go back to the mine?"

ODSTER: "Okay."

(Cut to Black. Play a final musical sting. End game.)
Last edited by Datadog on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pcj

Post by pcj »

*approve*
Datadog

Post by Datadog »

And the other one:

Roger and Beatrice stand with the apes as they surround the cannon. Rodney plays "Amazing Grace" as Vohaul's coffin is loaded into the cannon. The colonel stands up to give a speech.

COLONEL: "What kind of thing can I say about Lord Vohaul other than to remember him as he was, and not the horrible monstrosity our scientists turned him into. Alas, to lose such a noble leader is a cruel fate indeed for apekind. And now, a few words from a man many of you are blaming for his death. Mr. Wilco?"

Roger steps up to the cannon.

ROGER: "I can see some loaded weapons in the room, so I'll make this short. I didn't know Vohaul very well. In fact, the first time we met, he shipped me off to die on a forsaken jungle planet. Long story short, he spent a lot of time trying to kill me, and then he died. That's about it."

General Forksmith steps up to Roger and Bea.

FORKSMITH: "The repairs have been made to your ship. I'd recommend you leave as soon as possible."

ROGER: "Will you guys get along fine without your leader?"

FORKSMITH: "Ah, we'll be fine. We'll just have to start taking things back into our own hands. The Furkunz have returned to their caves but I suspect we haven't seen the last of them. It's gonna be difficult to call a truce after all this. Not to mention Never Kenezer seems to be missing."

ROGER: "You let him get away?"

CHIMP: "That was my bad. Sorry."

FORKSMITH: "Beh. Just get out of here."

ROGER: "Let's go, Bea. Our work here is done."

FORKSMITH: "Fire the cannon!"

They fire the coffin into space. It disappears around the planet's edge.

The Aluminum Mallard leaves the surface and flies off.

ROGER: "Well, that outcome was more depressing than I thought it would be."

BEA: "So, are we getting married or what?"

ROGER: "Yeah. I guess. I don't really feel like it anymore. Maybe later."

BEA: "You know, I really wish we could've done more for Vohaul."

ROGER: "Me too, Bea, but this is life, and life doesn't have a save point. We can't just restore our place every time we make a mistake. We gotta move on."

BEA: "I suppose."

ROGER: "Look at the bright side. At least Vohaul's in a better place."

~Start Video~

Cut a shot of Radon, deep under the sea where we see his coffin lying in a bed of seaweed. There is the part where we think it's going to go runs credits now.

Except a light hits the coffin.

*Cue Imperial Under the Sea March*

Cut to a montage of Vohaul's body parts being resassembled on a table by machines, and his back-up disk being plugged in somewhere. We only see the more mechanical components and not the full body. Quickly, joints are snapped back together and the disk is reinserted.

A silohouette of Vohaul's head is lowered onto the body, and a glowing red eye opens. The table slowly rises through the mist and into the light... where we see a slimy crustacean-like Vohaul composed of sea junk and ocean life.

~Cut to In-Game~

Vohaul is surrounded by Sea Horse-like bipeds with Gungan attributes. The room is similar to the original lab in the intro, only underwater with fish swimming around. A dolphin is connected to wires nearby.

VOHAUL: "What happened... where am I? Why am I breathing through my neck?"
SEA MONKEY: "Thata be yoursa new gills! Wesa bring you to our secret lair and make-a new again! Yousa be da new friend of da sea monkeys now!"
VOHAUL: "No. I have to get back to the moon. I have complete my weapon. I have to destroy Wilco! Where's a spaceship?!"
SEA MONKEY: "Oh, wesa no have spaceships."
VOHAUL: "Then how do I get out of here?!"
SEA MONKEY: "Yousa can never leave! Yousa stuck here FOREVER!"
VOHAUL: "No. That can't be. That's impossible! I can't stay here! You have to send me back!"
SEA MONKEY: "Wesa go poodoo on da doodoo!"
(All the sea monkeys start making whooping noises and hop around)
VOHAUL: "NOOOOOOOOOOOGgggaggogogbogoogobog!!!!!"
*as he raises his arms, the crab on his left hand swims away*
VOHAUL: "I'LL GET YOU FOR THIS WILCO!"

*cut to outside view of underwater city*

VOHAUL: "WHERE EVER YOU ARE, I'LL GET YOU FOR THIS!!!"
Last edited by Datadog on Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
olzen
Co-Lead; Producer, Composer, Director, Writer

Post by olzen »

These are gonna be animation hell, but I approve.
WARNING: Will often post redundant anecdotes about the history of the "Vohaul Strikes Back"-project.
mjomble

Post by mjomble »

:D

Love it, all of it. Like the M:I-2 ending(s) all over again! :y:

And just like olzen, at first I thought "Dang, now we're gonna have to get our animator to do all this.". And then "....hang on, Datadog IS our animator! Yaaay!"

Couple notes:

* The chief in the beginning, is he the scientist?

* I was thinking, maybe in the good ending, Vohaul would take off his voice modulator thingy and speak in a normal voice. For one, it'd fit the theme better and there's some additional fun in showing that he doesn't really need that thing, but the apes just installed one to make him sound like his old self. And he never took it off earlier because he felt it made him sound more evil.

* Not sure if the "Wanna go dig in the mine?" "Okay." exchange sounds to everyone like it's the mind-control after effects, many might think they're just going to randomly mess around there for fun or something. Although when I tried to think of alternate dialogues, they didn't sound as good as the current wording. But the meaning should probably be clearer for it to work as a proper ending gag.

* The Sea Monkeys should probably mention the name of their species, otherwise the players might start referring to them as "those squiggly guys at the end" or something. Maybe "Yousa be our new friend now!" -> "Yousa be friend of the sea monkeys now!"
olzen

Post by olzen »

Justas wrote:* Not sure if the "Wanna go dig in the mine?" "Okay." exchange sounds to everyone like it's the mind-control after effects, many might think they're just going to randomly mess around there for fun or something.
In which case we might as well remove the risky tent click events in the caves!
WARNING: Will often post redundant anecdotes about the history of the "Vohaul Strikes Back"-project.
pcj

Post by pcj »

What?
olzen

Post by olzen »

Well, to a lesser degree these:
Roger: Hello.
Furkunz: Sex.
Roger: Pardon?
Roger: What?
Roger: I don't get it.
Furkunz: And you never will.
Roger: Bastard.
Roger: Somebody inside is playing the banjo.
Roger: Hello.
Furkunz: Squeal like a pig, boy! Squeal like a pig!
Roger: That's one tent I'm going to stay away from.
But mainly this:
Furkunz #1: Oh, Jopper!
Furkunz #2: Oh, Tulp!
Furkunz #3: Oh, Schnim!
Furkunz #4: Oh, Figglebottom!
Roger: I guess caveball isn't their only recreation.
These little buggers are just getting more and more horny as the script progresses. My response to Justas was more of a joke, but I do think we need to draw a line when it comes to stuff like this.
mjomble

Post by mjomble »

Hmm, yeah, the tent events should probably changed. I'll try when the exams are over.

But for the record, that's not what I meant by "mess around".
Datadog

Post by Datadog »

Is that in the general Furkunz area? I didn't see those lines before. In either case, they'd have to go.

And I fixed two out of three comments by Justas. The exchange between Odster and Gofty still seems to sound right in my head, but it's better to imagine them as trying to kill time after having been enslaved, instead of showing signs of after-effects or joking around. Adding "go back" or "again" might fix it; "You wanna go dig in the mine again?"

As for the animations, I tried to write this as conservatively as I can so that it could be handle being produced in-game without resorting to video. Animating Furkunz riding down the slope is incredibly easy, so the hardest part would probably be the Penguin knocking Lewdy out of the air with a snowball and even that's not too bad. Actually, the high-five might be much harder to do. The animation where Werg changes Roger's outfit would be quick and seamless seeing as how he's a thief (and very similar to the scene in "Emperor's New Groove" where the kids tar and feather Eartha Kitt.)

We can even have a general "going down the mountain" animated background where's it just a 3-4 frame loop of trees going by.

The main thing that would make it work is that the transititions between rooms for the skiing montage need to be instant. I don't know if we already have it set on "Fade In/Fade Out" but is there a way to override how the rooms dissolve into each other?

And I'm not too sure about the part where Bea throws the bouquet. I originally thought we could have her throw the flowers into the air ala 2001 and they could turn into the Mallard flying off, but that would be too SQ6, plus we used that puzzle already. I also thought she could just chuck them over her shoulder to Rodney and the prisoner could reach out the side of the screen and catch them first. Any ideas?