The Outros

Released information from various stages of VSB's development.
Datadog
Character, Sprite & GUI Artist

The Outros

Post by Datadog »

For the first Outro, where Vohaul dies, I thought we could just go for the short version where Roger and Bea leave the planet, and the entire ape race vows vengeance on Wilco at Vohaul's funeral. Not too exciting yet.

For the second Outro, where Vohaul is saved, I figure it might be best if he retains his memories, unlike the current script in the Wiki. I like the idea of him starting up a ski resort and changing his name to Wilby Goode or Wilby Nyce. We could find someway of revisiting all the characters somehow in a montage, and watching how their lives all got better in the end (with Never Kenezer and the more unsavory characters locked up at some sort of attraction.) The whole sequence could have a very upbeat eighties' feel to it with the music (something fun and sporty like Bob and Doug's "Take Off" maybe, or at least in the same vein of inspiration.)

But overall, if nobody minds, I'd like to add a wedding sequence where Roger finally proposes to Bea with a detonite ring, and Vohaul's his best man. I had a corny idea where the wedding could take place at the top of a ski lift and could end with Vohaul slapping Roger's back in good humor and knocking him down the side of the mountain without skiis (get it? Vohaul Strikes BACK. Ahahahaha! ....aahh... screw you guys.)

The only thing I'm not too keen on in terms of ideas so far is the twins idea. In fact, she doesn't even need to give birth in this game. The ski resort could be built in a month instead of a year. We could still use the Hannah reference though, when Roger and Bea argue over what to name the baby and Bea keeps insisting it'll be a girl.

...yeah.

Anyway, I want to hear any other ideas I missed out on as well as what other people are thinking.

I don't know why I keep posting this stuff. I should be busy as heck with a million other projects.
mjomble
Writer / Efficiency Facilitator

Post by mjomble »

Hmm, I quite liked the twins idea. Even if the kids aren't born during the outro, Bea could still announce that she's expecting twins and Roger and the narrator would be both confused, given their knowledge of the future, or more exactly the fact that they don't know as much about the future as they thought they did. Or, something.

Anyhoo, that's just my vote :P

PS. The rest sounds good :y:
"Man, we're gonna get so much pie when all these droids start coming back."
pcj
Site Admin, Webmaster, Programmer

Post by pcj »

Yep, keeping the twins. Don't want to make the outro too long, though, so not too sure about the other ideas. Can't have it get anticlimatic.
Datadog

Post by Datadog »

Okay, the twins seem to be a popular idea, so I'll see if I can work them in somehow.

I don't intend to make the second outro incredibly long (not Return of the King anyway,) but I think it should include the following:

-Vohaul waking up and turning over a new leaf
-Vohaul making amends (the "ONE MONTH/YEAR LATER" thing)
-Roger proposing to Beatrice
-The Short but Happy Wedding
-Leaving Radon
-And maybe we can save the twins thing for the final moment?

(sitting in the Aluminum Mallard)
ROGER: "You know what, Bea? I think I've had enough surprises for a lifetime. Now that Vohaul's no longer a threat and we're finally married, we can finally settle down and live calm and peaceful lives like normal folk. Everything is the way it should be. Just you, me, and baby Junior."
BEA: "And Hannah."
ROGER: "And Hannah."
(pause)
ROGER: "...who's Hannah?"
BEA: "Our daughter. I'm having twins."
(pause. Roger's eyes grow wide.)
ROGER: "...what?"

THE END

At this point, we splice in three seconds of footage from the end of "Dead Man's Chest" where the guy bites the apple and winks at the camera.
pcj

Post by pcj »

That should work.
olzen
Co-Lead; Producer, Composer, Director, Writer

Post by olzen »

You haven't mentioned the "Vohaul turns bad again"-bit. Personally, I think that should definitely be before the credits. It's a vital part of where SQ could go after this. Not just a post-credits easter egg.
WARNING: Will often post redundant anecdotes about the history of the "Vohaul Strikes Back"-project.
Datadog

Post by Datadog »

Does he actually NEED to turn bad again? If we do that kind of ending, people are going to think we're making a sequel, and we're already pushing it with the twins. It might be better if we aim for some level of closure. Besides, where SQ could go after this is up to the fans. If they want to bring Vohaul back, they can just change our ending the same way we changed SQ4's ending.
olzen

Post by olzen »

Well, one thing is that I like him going bad in the end. I don't agree with you on it saying "hey, we're making a sequel". Just a fun way for us to make the series more interesting.

Also, I have a feeling that Vohaul going good forever would not be popular with players. The old ending that was leaked (Vohaul ended up as Roger and Bea's nanny then) received almost unanimously negative reactions. While Vohaul doesn't end up as a total imbecile in this script, I think it will come across as cheesy to most people. So in a way, the fans have been asked already...
WARNING: Will often post redundant anecdotes about the history of the "Vohaul Strikes Back"-project.
mjomble

Post by mjomble »

We wouldn't be making the entire essence of the evil Vohaul gone for good, this is just one copy of him.

There are dozens of ways for the fans to revive him even if we end it like this.
"Man, we're gonna get so much pie when all these droids start coming back."
Datadog

Post by Datadog »

Yeah, Vohaul's a virus. Chances are good that there's hundreds of copies of him on other disks all over the universe waiting to be uploaded into supercomputers, so it could even be hinted at that good Vohaul intends to seek out and find these copies before they do any more damage (but if the fanverse has anything to say about it, he won't entirely succeed.)

But if we were to bring back a bad Vohaul, at the end of the credits would still be the best place for it. Heck - the bad version could've uploaded itself out of Vohaul's mind before Roger destroyed it.
Datadog

Post by Datadog »

Actually, since we're doing two endings, any idea we come up with could be incorporated into one or the other.
pcj

Post by pcj »

Well, Vohaul's pretty much incapacitated in the first ending, so that'd have to be in the second one.
Datadog

Post by Datadog »

I meant that he could come back at the end of the first ending because he's Vohaul and Vohaul always manages to come back somehow, even if he's dead.

It's the idea of him turning bad again at the end of the happy ending that doesn't make sense to me. Roger just went through a whole bunch of crap to make sure this doesn't happen again, so why would Vohaul revert to his old self so quickly and screw the player out of so much hard work?
pcj

Post by pcj »

Datadog wrote: so why would Vohaul revert to his old self so quickly and screw the player out of so much hard work?
Datadog also wrote:because he's Vohaul and Vohaul always manages to come back somehow
Heh.
Datadog

Post by Datadog »

Yeah, I caught that too. :P

What I meant by the "he comes back" statement is that he always comes back in the sequel. Someone will rewrite enough of the previous ending to change the previous outcome, but technically, he was always dead at the end of each game as far as the Two Guys were concerned until they needed him again.

Since we have two endings anyway, we could try both an open ending with one and a closed ending with another. I'd just prefer it if the happy ending was the closed ending.

Actually, I'd prefer it if both were closed endings, but as Olzen put it, the fans probably wouldn't be pleased with us deciding on the fate of the SQ Universe, so I guess we could make at least one ending left open for them. If Vohaul did have to come back at the end of one of them, I'd say to go with the one where he dies, because he never stays dead anyway. Plus, not much seems to happen in that ending to begin with.