The Penguin and the trap

Released information from various stages of VSB's development.
olzen
Co-Lead; Producer, Composer, Director, Writer

Post by olzen »

Exactly; I think we should just let this one pass.
WARNING: Will often post redundant anecdotes about the history of the "Vohaul Strikes Back"-project.
mjomble
Writer / Efficiency Facilitator

Post by mjomble »

Sounds good!
"Man, we're gonna get so much pie when all these droids start coming back."
MartyMcFly
BG Artist / Coffee Retriever

Post by MartyMcFly »

to be a pain in the ass, i really like the frozen waterall idea. its way more interesting than a catapult and even if its a simple puzzle to pass, it will look cool.
once rogers gets the penguin taped onto his feet using fishing as bait, then penguins would be neglected to move once he's standing there ready to slide down. so roger could use the fish again (using the same inventory twice in the same scene to sort of throw the player) and throw it to where roger needs to go.

even though thats sounds good to me, i have an alternate idea which will unlikely be used due to animation and all that funk...
after roger throws the fish and the penguin still dont move, Roger could stand there trying to persuade the penguins, "fetch, FETCH!!!". after a little awkward silence, the giant spewter from the ice surface randomly comes from behind roger running for the fish. in result the penguins get shitscared and make a run for it down the waterfall and into the next room... perhaps even as roger is in the next room, you could hear crashing from the spewter jumping onto the icey waterfall smashing it into pieces (and all this isnt seen). roger could walk back into that room and notice the spewter has gone as well as the fish, and also the waterall has broken into a conveniant sort of staircase for roger to backtrack if he wants.
mjomble

Post by mjomble »

MartyMcFly wrote:to be a pain in the ass, i really like the frozen waterall idea.
You're being a pain in the ass by agreeing with us? :P

As for the staircase idea, I'd prefer this puzzle to be a point of no return. Although a possible Spewter involvement could be interesting nonetheless.
MartyMcFly

Post by MartyMcFly »

crap another idea i just have to get off my chest.
the penguin could be kinda like the caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland. in the end he could be quite harmless (and also congratulates you for actually reaching him and passing the traps/obstacles). after giving him the umbrella penguin presents Roger with some usefull advice for him to use later on in the game. penguin could use the fumes of the goo to make roger dizzy/high and thats where he learns from the penguin in a funky LSD, multiple penguin spinning heads fashion. :D
later on in the game, Roger could spurt a thinking bubble of penguin with his voiceover saying the piece of advice. ontop of that, he could completely misinterpret the straight foward advice but also succeed in his own interpretation. kinda like in scary movie 4 where she has the little object (forget what its called) to place in the cars to make them work again. instead she throws it at the head and knocks out a guy driving by so they take his car.
MartyMcFly

Post by MartyMcFly »

woops. i thought u meant "pass" as in "let us never think of this stupid idea again you worthless piece of guano"
Datadog
Character, Sprite & GUI Artist

Post by Datadog »

This is sort of what I had in mind for the waterfall.

Roger would step out of the culvert which would be overlapping a larger waterfall pouring out below. He can walk around on top of the waterfall, and on the platform to the right, where two disgruntled penguins are seated. If you try to approach them, they will flap their wings in protest. If you try to go down the waterfall now, you will fall into the crack in the ice. All the frozen sewage, by the way, should probably be green instead of brown. It'll be less toilet humory that way. Things can be sticking out of the ice if we want.

To get across:

OPEN UP CAN OF ANCHOVIES (taken from colonel's tent or Merg's hut)
GIVE ANCHOVIES TO PENGUINS (to calm them down)
TAKE PENGUINS
USE DUCT TAPE ON PENGUINS (this will tie the penguins together at the hip, so they can't seperate when you're riding them)
USE PENGUIN SLED ON WATERFALL (Roger will ride them down, skimming over the water)

Afterwards, Roger will stand, and the two penguins will hobble off, still duct taped together.

USE LADDER

"You bid farewell to the sewers and climb up the ladder. From here on, it's just you and Vohaul."

EDIT: I like Marty's word-of-advice idea. That might be a good thing to come back to later on.
mjomble

Post by mjomble »

Hmm, interesting. But the skimming bit has one problem - it might work as an animation, but probably won't seem like a reasonable solution before you've seen it. By looking at the picture alone and without knowing the solution, I'd imagine even with the penguins they'd all fall through anyway.
Datadog

Post by Datadog »

Good point.

We could have it so that the crack is off to the side, and Roger can't guide himself away from it without a sled (ala KQ5.) Or just have it so he slips and breaks his neck at the bottom if he doesn't have anything.

You know what? If someone can come up with an idea for getting down that's logical and doesn't involve too many variables or side-stories, just post it here. This is getting tiresome.
MartyMcFly

Post by MartyMcFly »

im thinking im thinking

i still like the penguin idea i dont think we should give it the axe. perhaps we should involve the spewter somehow where it could get stuck in the hole. there could be a "spewter crossing" sign to hint that a spewter will be involved in the scene somehow... im stilling mulling over this.

yeah it may be tiresome but there will be light at the end of the tunnel. it is an adventure game afterall and we dont want the players to finish it in 5 mintues.
Datadog

Post by Datadog »

Yeah, but it would seem out of character for the Spewter to go chasing Roger around. Maybe if he was already in there?

Could the Spewter sign be used as a weapon, tool, or pole vault?
olzen

Post by olzen »

Not sure if I understood that first line - Radon is not a small planet. There isn't just a Spewter, it's a race. Sure, until now, Roger has just always encountered one, but it's not the only one of them. So the Spewter wouldn't just be the one from the surface chasing him around, it'd be another one. Unless you want the Spewter to be like that amorous skunk from the old cartoons!

If we add a line (in the bit where Al describes the Spewter) that says how Spewters enjoy staying in foul-smelling environments, the Spewter in the sewer would seem more logical and not just a recycle.
WARNING: Will often post redundant anecdotes about the history of the "Vohaul Strikes Back"-project.
MartyMcFly

Post by MartyMcFly »

yeah it doesnt need to be the same one. one could be there at the right time after roger somehow gets its attention
Datadog

Post by Datadog »

I didn't think there'd only be one - I just thought it would be odd that there's only one the surface and only one underground. How about a big ol' pit of them covered by a fragile ice bridge? Or a herd of Spewters sleeping in a river, and you have to cross them by walking on their backs?
MartyMcFly

Post by MartyMcFly »

as long as it involves the riding penguins idea :D