The Penguin and the trap

Released information from various stages of VSB's development.
Datadog
Character, Sprite & GUI Artist

Post by Datadog »

Just a stupid idea, but how about the bars are vertical, and the solution is simply to WALK out of the cage and exit to your right?
mjomble
Writer / Efficiency Facilitator

Post by mjomble »

I think we already have too many of those 'unexpectedly simple' solutions, like the Fortress door, finding Vohaul in the fortress, busting out of jail, etc.

Yeap, we've been pretty lazy there :P
"Man, we're gonna get so much pie when all these droids start coming back."
Datadog

Post by Datadog »

A simple solution can sometimes be the best way to go. Let us not forget the exceedingly simple puzzle solution in "Secret of Monkey Island" when you get tied to the idol and thrown off the dock.

PICK UP IDOL.
olzen
Co-Lead; Producer, Composer, Director, Writer

Post by olzen »

Yes, it worked great once, but if you throw in too many of those "puzzles", the joke would fall completely flat and it would just seem half-assed.
WARNING: Will often post redundant anecdotes about the history of the "Vohaul Strikes Back"-project.
pcj
Site Admin, Webmaster, Programmer

Post by pcj »

Also, we have to consider the fact that the original idea had Roger dying immediately if he wasn't careful. I prefer Marty's solution.
olzen

Post by olzen »

Just needs to be something other than a bone, IMO. We've already got one of those. We could always just make it possible for Roger to pick up a rock in the caves or something.
WARNING: Will often post redundant anecdotes about the history of the "Vohaul Strikes Back"-project.
pcj

Post by pcj »

And maybe there could be a pneumatic door so that when you set the rock on a hole it opens.
olzen

Post by olzen »

Sounds good to me!
pcj

Post by pcj »

We should probably use the viewshield glass in the same section too.
karmot
Writer
Writer

Post by karmot »

I like very much that idea of spoofing Batman Returns works for you too. (Actually, i had strange reasons suggesting it: i like that movie.) So i submit my ideas about that wonderful version of Marty. Natural last wish to make Penguin turn away for longer time, would be taking leak. I am not sure how it would fit in with your idea what is apropriate though. And in sewer it wouldn't be hard to fill can. How one closes opened can is question though.
mjomble

Post by mjomble »

Oh yeah, olzen was talking to me earlier about the idea of Roger throwing a little penguin at the switch instead of the can or a rock or whatever.

But I thought that the most far-fetched bit about the puzzle was Roger hitting the switch on the first try, so we might make it so that he'd have to throw 3-5 little penguins at the switch until he finally hits. And the puzzle would be about figuring out that you need to try the same thing again. The response could be slightly different each time he tries and misses, to clue the player in a bit.

I heard pcj didn't like the idea, but there's something about chucking tiny penguins at a flip switch that sounds awesome to me :D

EDIT: Furthermore, the 'penguin looking away' puzzle could also involve the little penguins, as Roger would need to throw one in his face to keep him occupied for a moment. And to make it even trickier for the player, there could be two types of little penguins - fatter ones and more "aerodynamic" ones, the former would need to be used on the switch to get the necessary weight, and the latter would be needed to throw all the way over to the penguin's face, who would be standing a bit further.
Last edited by mjomble on Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcj

Post by pcj »

I didn't like olzen's idea of throwing turds. Penguins might work better.
olzen

Post by olzen »

The serious one: tiny penguins (which I like because of the same reason as Justas)
The joke: turds (because it would be the most logical throwable object in a sewer :wink:)

I'm rather happy you didn't like the joke-suggestion, but you also discarded the serious one without much thought, so don't even try.
mjomble

Post by mjomble »

*tries*
MartyMcFly
BG Artist / Coffee Retriever
BG Artist / Coffee Retriever

Post by MartyMcFly »

i like the throwing the little penguins idea. but distracting him is another issue altogether. the "three headed penguin/apeman" idea not so good?
perhaps instead of a comment like that (and not to mention a complete ripoff from MI) Roger could say something that only he'd undestand as a janitor. eg. "look behind you, a <some random big worded cleaning fluid ingredients> is behind you!"