Furkunz Outline

Released information from various stages of VSB's development.
Eegah
Writer
Writer

Furkunz Outline

Post by Eegah »

I have here the early version of the outline I'm working on (basically the hintbook copy I write for every section I do). Included is an unfinished chunk of the first scene, which the Roger/Mayor scene is far far too long in. Since this is before I've done the heavy writing for the puzzles if you have any ideas to tweak what I have for the hintbook go right ahead. I'm sure that the puzzles will change as I flesh this area out more, but its what I'm working on for now.

Furkunz Village .1

Hintbook Copy:
Well, where should I start?
Go to the bar and ask around.
The bartender says he has information, but he isn't giving any.
What you need to do is be persistent. Ask him three times.
How do I get in the mansion?
Ask the shifty eyed man in the bar about breaking in. He should give you a free lockpick.
I keep getting caught! Its the squeaky door! What do I do?
Go to the shop and buy some.
Where do I get money?
The shop is willing to barter for any thing of value. Get the ornate statue off the top of the gazebo.
How do I get up there?
Push one of the gazebo supports and it crashes in. Take the statue.
I'm inside, but the blueprints are nowhere to be found!
Move the painting.
Now there's a safe!
Looking at all of the posters covering the room, its obvious that Pelvis is the man's hero. Try that as a combination.
As I was leaving, he ran into me!
Untie the rope of the chandelier. It should knock him out cold.

(after capture sequence)

Room 1: Village Green
Scene: Given that it is inside a cave, it is very dimly lit. There is a large rectangular lawn which is overgrown and not very green in the middle. Along the sides are several mud/straw/crappy-looking huts. At the very end of the green at the top of the screen is a very primitive looking cave with the word 'BAR' scrawled on it in chalk. In the center of the green is a rather ugly rotting gazebo.

EXITS:

(Upon entering the first time)
(Roger walks in with two Furkunz following him with spears trained on him, and a fairly important one leading the way, the important one is the mayor, the other two are generic guards)
ROGER: What's all this about?
MAYOR: Human.
ROGER: Yessir.
MAYOR: Human.
ROGER: Uhm...
MAYOR: We have a task for you human, a task that we believe could be quite helpful to you. You realize, if you play the right cards, to use one of your terms.
ROGER: Gotcha.
MAYOR: We know human-loser that you are here to bring down the horrors of Vohaul.
ROGER: How'd you know?
MAYOR: We're good at that sort of thing.
ROGER: Wow. I'm a Leo, tell me my fortune for today.
MAYOR: You may encounter difficulties.
ROGER: Wow.
MAYOR: We have a network of spies all over. Some of them are within the very fortress of that Vohaul that you are after.
ROGER: Yes.
MAYOR: Someone in this town has stolen very important blueprints to that fortress. With those blueprints we can infiltrate and possibly help your cause. Without them, we are in trouble.
ROGER: Oh?
MAYOR: Someone here is a thief, and possibly working for Vohaul. We can't have him send those blueprints back, or have them destroyed. We need them post haste.
ROGER: Yes.
MAYOR: What I want you to do is find those blueprints and we shall help you on your quest.
ROGER: How so?
MAYOR: Give you a helping hand.
ROGER: But two is enough!
MAYOR: Look, please find those blueprints, ask around, find them. Come back to me when you find them.
(from this point on, the mayor will stand on the town green)

LOOK AT MAYOR: He looks like an official. An official dunce! ZING!
SMELL MAYOR: One of the disadvantages of having a low tech society is lack of deodorants.
TOUCH MAYOR:
MAYOR: Tee hee hee. Stop it.
(2nd time)
MAYOR: Heh heh heh. Stop it.
(3rd time)
MAYOR: ah-ha-ha. No, really, stop it.
(4th time)
MAYOR: Bwahahaha... GUARDS!
(Death Screen: Roger impaled with a spear- “For such a simply society they sure have sharpening down.”)
TALK TO MAYOR:
MAYOR: Don't talk to me unless you have the blueprints.
Watch out for snakes
mjomble
Writer / Efficiency Facilitator

Re: Furkunz Outline

Post by mjomble »

Nice job! Here come the comments:

Firstly, the Furkunz shouldn't be so hostile towards Roger. They'd capture him first, because they considered him a threat, but when they recognise him, they'd be more than willing to cooperate with him in any way. And instead of "We're good at that sort of thing.", the old idea was that Roger tells them who he is and they remember that he is known for having defeated Vohaul in the past.

But you don't have to worry about that, as we can take care of fleshing out the dialogues and such. We just needed the general puzzle framework, so if you could explain that a bit more thoroughly, as well as note any other ideas you wanted to be implemented, we could take over this part.

As for some questions that popped up by now:
Eegah wrote:How do I get in the mansion?
A mansion in the caves?
Go to the shop and buy some.
A typo, I suppose. Oil/grease?
Looking at all of the posters covering the room, its obvious that Pelvis is the man's hero. Try that as a combination.
We already have a Pelvis reference in the resort shop, might use something else here.
...with the word 'BAR' scrawled on it in chalk.
A bit irrelevant here, but it's supposed to be an out-of-place neon sign ;)

Also, they should bring Roger up-to-date with the recent goings-on of the resistance movement and such before sending him off to the quest. As said above, I'd like to do the dialogues and such myself if it's okay with you, so that you could then just help flesh out the pure puzzles. We're also more familiar with the latest decisions, which makes it easier.
"Man, we're gonna get so much pie when all these droids start coming back."
Eegah
Writer
Writer

Post by Eegah »

The mansion in the caves works, at least for me, I see the villainous traitor getting all sorts of cool tech stuff from Vohaul in return for his cheating.

I realized the Pelvis reference, I just couldn't think of a better way we could noodle something in a safe puzzle.
Watch out for snakes
mjomble

Post by mjomble »

But what about the other stuff I mentioned?

Or were you just busy when writing that reply?
olzen
Co-Lead; Producer, Composer, Director, Writer

Post by olzen »

I'm not really sure about the mansion, but the whole basic idea with ratting out the traitor and getting back the blueprints is just fine. As for the poster, let's try coming up with some spoof-names of some bands or artists we know.
WARNING: Will often post redundant anecdotes about the history of the "Vohaul Strikes Back"-project.
mjomble

Post by mjomble »

Aye. I also like the idea of someone being obviously rich and blatantly denying it, but a mansion might be a bit too much. Perhaps just a slightly larger home (might look like a standard hut that has been expanded), full of various luxurious goods (most of which he hasn't figured out how to use yet).
olzen

Post by olzen »

Yeah. I also kinda envision the huts as built-in in the cave. I might do a sketch of that sometime soon.
WARNING: Will often post redundant anecdotes about the history of the "Vohaul Strikes Back"-project.
mjomble

Post by mjomble »

We did some more thinking and found that it's still a bit too high-tech, actually. Here's the idea I originally had when we came up with the whole underground Furkunz area part, before it got blended with other ideas and such (except for the bar):

The Furkunz used to live on the surface. Then the apemen came there to build the Radon base (which was later turned into the fortress, as described in the history), so they drove the Furkunz out and destroyed their village (as it happened to be on a good spot in relation to the moon). The Furkunz went into the caves and established only a temporary refugee camp, where they would be until the resistance movement manages to get rid of the fortress. So they shouldn't consider the caves as a new permanent home. Although they did build a bar (to make the time spent in there a bit merrier), they shouldn't really bother with building huts for themselves. As they're in the caves, the huts wouldn't protect them from precipitation or cold much more than the cave itself. So the only real purpose for the huts would be privacy, which shouldn't be that important for little furry aliens (therefore being unlike humans), especially in a refugee camp.

Yet, the rich one might have his hut in order to separate himself from the "lower class" and to have a place where he could keep his high-tech stuff without the others nosing around too much. As for the lawn and the gazebo, that wouldn't probably fit in very well either. I'm thinking that most of the cave would be looking like a big bar lounge, where they've made sitting and sleeping places for themselves.
olzen

Post by olzen »

Posted some examples of possible art styles here. Just making sure Eegah will see it so he can post his own thoughts.
Eegah
Writer
Writer

Post by Eegah »

Justas wrote:But what about the other stuff I mentioned?

Or were you just busy when writing that reply?
The other stuff I agreed with, so I didn't address it.

Okay, the mansion might be a bit over, so a fancy hut (2 floors) full of cool stuff that the guy uses all as paperweights. All of it.
Watch out for snakes
mjomble

Post by mjomble »

So you agree with my last post as well?

So if we're gonna take it over, we'll just have to reorganise the main puzzles with you. And you might add any other ideas you had for this, as I wrote above.
olzen

Post by olzen »

This message is intended to Justas.

The Pink Floyd internet radio I mentioned have just played the track I wanted to do a reference to in the bar. So I managed to get it recorded from my soundcard output. Here's the relevant part with the "lyrics".
Attachments
Several blah blah.zip
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 665 times