Bug/Oddity Report *SPOILERS*

Bugs which are fixed or otherwise closed
Chrille

Bug/Oddity Report *SPOILERS*

Post by Chrille »

Hey guys, I think the game was excellent. Probably the best Space Quest I've played even though it's not official. The puzzles were for once logical and not just a bunch of funny dialog. I'd even say this game gave me more laughs than any other entry in the series. Well done and thanks, guys!

Here are some bugs I encountered as well as some suggestions that you might want to fix for the talkie version:

Graphical Glitches & such:
Prison camp scene with Minilith (btw, that puzzle made sense to me, but I've seen 2001 so):
* It's a bit odd that you can knock out the General AND steal his keys while the guard is still following you.
* Also, the general falls into the guard but nothing happens, walk-behind glitch, but I don't think it should be possible to do this while the guard is watching so ignore that.
* In the same scene you can walk around on sewer grate even when it's open, just looks odd.

In the moon base, break room:
* As you stand behind the general watching TV, perhaps if you're too far left, the general is displayed infront of Roger. Walk-Behind glitch.

On the beach in Vohaul's mind:
* If you trigger the conversation with the crab appearing and the barbell is there, the grab walks right through the barbell, appearing in-front. Walk-Behind glitch.

Vohaul's mind in general:
* The music disappears completely sometimes.

Suggestions:
* The animations are terrific, save for the ones you see the most. Walking animations from the side look very odd as they either play too slow, or the characters walk too fast. Looks more like that chars are floating or gliding than walking.
* In some places I got stuck for ages because I didn't realise there was more to the screen than first shown or I didn't realise you could go a certain direction at all. Specifically:
- Prison camp, scene with the orangutang & the lawyer.
- Moon base, the second half of the screen with aquarium (how about panning the cam across the room the first time you enter?)
- Vohaul's Mind, Monolith Burger. Couldn't find the exit to the kitchen area or the storage.
- A general solution to these would be to have the 'hotspot' text at the bottom indicating there's something there. For example there is no text indicating that you can go to the kitchen area, and the Exit cursor is easy to miss here.

* The puzzles in Vohaul's Mind (where you need to alter the memories) were much more frustrating than the rest of the game. Often because even if you have the right idea the game says no without giving you a clue that you're on the right track. For example you have three containers (of some sort) but only one is ever correct. The ones that bothered me the most were:
- The chemical vials, how about a clue that you need something else to mix them in?
- Covering the barbell with a spoon. A SPOON! Why wouldn't your hands or the bucket work here? Kill this puzzle last part of that puzzle, it's cruel and unnecessary.
- The missing instructions. Just very strange that you specifically have to look at the tiny remaining piece to trigger Roger's idea, trying to take it should trigger the same reaction.

That's all. Thanks again for spending so much time with the game guys. It was great in all aspects. The writing, graphics and the music was wonderful. The easter egg was a nice addition too!
pcj
Site Admin, Webmaster, Programmer

Re: Bug/Oddity Report *SPOILERS*

Post by pcj »

Chrille wrote:In the moon base, break room:
* As you stand behind the general watching TV, perhaps if you're too far left, the general is displayed infront of Roger. Walk-Behind glitch.
Couldn't duplicate, can you take a screenshot where this happens?
A general solution to these would be to have the 'hotspot' text at the bottom indicating there's something there. For example there is no text indicating that you can go to the kitchen area, and the Exit cursor is easy to miss here.
The exit cursor was originally designed for this scene and the difficulty of seeing the exit - and we decided against hotspot text.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

pcj wrote:
Chrille wrote:In the moon base, break room:
Couldn't duplicate, can you take a screenshot where this happens?

I did take a screenshot but I can't find it. I wasn't like that from the start, so perhaps a change in the walk-behind values somewhere else on the moonbase causes it.
pcj

Post by pcj »

Oh, by the way...
Chrille wrote:- Covering the barbell with a spoon. A SPOON! Why wouldn't your hands or the bucket work here? Kill this puzzle last part of that puzzle, it's cruel and unnecessary.
Using the bucket DOES work here.
olzen
Co-Lead; Producer, Composer, Director, Writer
Co-Lead; Producer, Composer, Director, Writer

Post by olzen »

Thanks for your feedback and the bug report :)
Chrille wrote:Vohaul's mind in general:
* The music disappears completely sometimes.
As far as I know, this is being fixed for a future version; the game is still being patched, so the bugs you're mentioning should hopefully be gone with the next update.
WARNING: Will often post redundant anecdotes about the history of the "Vohaul Strikes Back"-project.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

pcj wrote:Oh, by the way...
Chrille wrote:- Covering the barbell with a spoon. A SPOON! Why wouldn't your hands or the bucket work here? Kill this puzzle last part of that puzzle, it's cruel and unnecessary.
Using the bucket DOES work here.
Do'h, sorry about that! I didn't work when I tried though. I must've missed the barbell and clicked outside. It's a bit confusing sometimes that using inventory items generates a message even if you don't click on a hotspot. I was stuck in Vohaul's childhood for a long time because my first attempt to give the hamster to his brother failed, but when I read a hint later on it turns out I'd probably just missed that hotspot. :(